Saturday 7 November 2015

This is Happening More and More These Days

Here is an example of the meals we are having lately. Everything on the plate except for the sausages came from our garden, in fact the vegies were harvested 10 minutes before I began to cook them. Here we have: baby carrots, parsnips, peas, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and tomato relish that I had made earlier in the week. Even the beer was made by the bearded wonder. Often its all salad vegies with the protein component plus hard boiled eggs.  Speaking of eggs, my eggs are becoming famous around the area and a complete stranger knocked on the door wanting to buy some and preparing to pay a premium price for them until we came to an agreement. He would supply fish for us when we supply the eggs. Excellent idea!! I still have a regular customer in a nearby town as well. More news: The silkie, I photographed recently mysteriously died. Out of the 4, six month old chickens we reared (they look like barnevelders but not sure), it appears that only one is a rooster so that's good news although he hasn't come to a sticky end just yet as there has been no crowing. The time will come I'm sure. Out of the eight chickens hatched out at Christmas, there appears to be only 1 rooster evident (so far) in that batch. The others look like girls so I'm hoping that they are. They are Rhode Island Reds except for a tiny black and white one which is probably a bantam or not growing. Remember the Grosse Lisse tomato I showed you last time, I have already harvested over 16 kgs of big fleshy fruit. I have given some away as I am having trouble dealing with them. The person, I gave them to offered me apples but I have a fridge full already plus more trees that will be harvested at a later date. I have been stewing apples for desserts. Still using frozen apricots and green gages from last season. I must re-organise the freezers again to put all the meat together, all the vegies together, all the stewed fruit and all the cooked soups and pies as they have been shoved in where-ever I have found a space.I


No comments:

Post a Comment