Monday 2 November 2015

Reflections on my No Spend Year

Well I made it, and haven't I learned a lot. 
I have learned: 
*  that I can dedicate myself to a task, long term
*  that I do not need to shop, in fact I HATE to shop
that life is VERY satisfactory without accumulating STUFF
that I am good at tracking my expenses and by doing this was able to review and make savings. For example, I saw the exorbitant amount of money being spent on insurance and moved companies and am now saving $1700ish a year.
* I am resourceful and can knock up a great meal for next to nothing, improvising if I don't have the required ingredients, therefore less trips to the shops so less temptation to buy stuff I don't need.
*  the importance of having a stockpile for the same reasons as above.
*  Planning: through careful planning, I actually made money, eg: Through having solar panels fitted on my roof a couple of years ago, I am now getting credit statements from the power company. 
   *  I have no interest in fashion and am quite satisfied with what is in my wardrobe and feel I wont ever have to buy much in the way of clothes ever again. I have enough till I die!
*   The vegie garden has been a very satisfying part of all this as I have grown loads of food and also loads of garlic which I will intend to sell next year when I have built up my supply through growing more this year. Nothing like good purple Tasmanian organic garlic!
*  I didn't need as many haircuts as I imagined I would and I didn't have to buy as much chook feed as I imagined I would. Unless you track, you don't realise.

I am not declaring to have another No Spend Year but I should imagine that my life will go along as it has been, especially now that I have no job and just living on savings for the short term at least until I pick up some casual teaching here and there.

Here's wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and that all your plans come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment