Saturday 7 November 2015

Homemade Dog Food

When I first got Django, back in April last year, I was determined to feed him home cooked food. When I took him to the vet for his puppy check up and vaccinations, the vet asked me what I feed him (as he was about to give me a showbag full of samples from different dogfood manufacturers).  When I told him, he said that he couldn't be better fed as I had everything covered.  Anyway here is the recipe.

Into a very large stock pot place 10 cups of water,
3 or 4 kilos of pet mince and boil so all the bits are separated, Add a tablespoon of vegemite or peanut butter.
Add 2 cups of pasta shapes and
2 cups of rice
Also add a variety of vegies (whatever you have in the garden) I frequently put in pumpkin, silverbeet, parsnips, swedes, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, beans and zuchinni. PLEASE DO NOT PUT IN ONION OR GARLIC as these are toxic to dogs.
Cook together until rice and pasta are mushy and the whole look of the mix is a paste consistency (it will have vegie and meaty lumps thoughout). Cool then put into containers for freezing. I get 2 meals from a butter container full, for a medium sized dog. He loves it. You will need loads of containers for freezing as mix makes rather a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment