Tuesday 3 November 2015

Pickled Eggs

Today I discovered 4 dozen eggs in my fridge so I thought I had better use some of them up, I made Christmas cakes so there went 1 dozen, I made meringues, another few gone and then I remembered pickled eggs that my grandmother used to make. I decided to have a go at these. These will be an interesting addition to salads later in the summer.

Nanna's Pickled Eggs

1 dozen hard boiled and peeled eggs
400 Mls malt vinegar
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon hot English mustard
1/2 chilli chopped finely
1 small onion chopped finely

Place all ingredients except eggs in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Place eggs into a hot, sterilized jar and pour in mixture. Seal. Leave for 2 months before eating.
Hard boiled eggs

Sometimes the eggs are hard to peel but I found the blue Araucana eggs the ones that peeled most successfully.
Some of the ingredients

The brew

The jars sterilizing in the oven. I only ended up using one as I found 1 dozen eggs fitted into the large one.


Here they are, now put away for a 2 months sleep. That's if I can keep the bearded wonder away from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment