Saturday 7 November 2015

Early Winter News

Due to the bearded wonder's recovery, we have been on many, many trips out of our home area for pleasure and rehabilitation. Django enjoyed all the adventures we took him on.

Remember when I harvested the green round zucchini (similar to the one above) and then it started changing colour whilst sitting on my benchtop.
Well, look below at how its changed. Its skin has become hard like a pumpkin and it sounds like a ripe pumpkin when rapped with the knuckles. It is showing no sign of going bad.  I find it very interesting as zucchinis are usually such short keeping fruit. I might have to save the seed from this ... a long keeper. Good one!
What a gorgeous thing!


My broad beans have germinated and are taking off.


The rhubarb isn't showing any signs of slowing down over winter. Must be the old hens that are buried in the tub that are fertilizing and making it look fabulous. You aren't supposed to harvest during the 1st year of growing and I have several times as it just keeps on coming back stronger than ever.
My faithful Aracauna has provided me with an egg every day since she took 8 weeks time out from laying, to raise chickens from Xmas to February. Now all my other hens are having time out, Ara just makes my trip to check the nests worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment