Saturday 7 November 2015

The Never Ending Garlic Story

You would remember the great garlic harvest of 2013.  Well, then I had to deal with it. It was last seen supposedly drying out on a large mesh cage BUT the normally dry, sunny village where I live, had an unseasonable wet patch (very wet) so I had to set up a huge mesh arrangement balancing on the clothes airer and two dining chairs. I then dragged all the garlic inside and set it up in the dining room. It stayed there for several days till the sun came out again then I moved it out onto the deck and laid them out over the sun lounges. 
By Saturday, they were ready (I was ready) to do something with them, I sorted them out into 3 piles.



One bin for small ones (for our home use), one bin for the huge ones (will use these for replanting in March), and two big laundry baskets for the medium ones to sell.

On Sunday, I sat out in the sun for 2 hours and peeled half the garlic that was for our home use. I relaxed, listening to The Prairie Home Companion which I listen to live through the internet as it is a live radio show that comes from the USA.


I popped the garlic in a blender made paste which I froze in ice cube trays for use later in soups and stews.

Some I pickled.

I kept two baskets full to be used to roast whole (yum). The bearded wonder knows how I love using garlic and asked what I was going to do next month when I ran out. 


These 2 baskets are the ones I have bundled to sell at the markets. I have 35 bundles. A basket of bundles of 5 and another with bundles of 10.
Here it is today, Monday and I bundled up the planting garlic. Looks like there will be oodles.
Last week, I published a ebook on Amazon which you can check out here.
Over 200 recipes from how to make your own condensed milk to main courses and furniture polish. 
The other news is, the bearded wonder has now moved in here at the beach, after selling his share of his business. On Monday and Tuesday he will work in Hobart and on Wednesdays will be joining me on my weekly photographic expeditions. The rest of the week he will travel to our former home and paint it out and tart up the garden then put it on the market in the New Year. Also this week I have baked bread, made a 3 week supply of dog food, and several litres of orange cordial for the bearded wonder's summer sipping. I planted out the vegie garden now that the beds were empty. Before I did, I biocharred the gardens and gave them a dose of biodynamic formula 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment