Saturday 31 October 2015

What's Been Happenin' ?

I thought today I would reflect on what been going on around here of late.  I bought a 10kg bag of onions for $3.00 so sliced and chopped madly and have loads in the freezer in convenient little bags to be dragged out and chucked into a curry, stew, and
I doubled the recipe.
and made 4 big coffee jars full and a small jar full as well. It can be used just spead on crackers, or with cold meat but I love to add it to my curries and stews.  Very delish.


Mimi's Onion Relish.

You need 4 decent sized washed and sterilized jars for this amount.

1 kg onions (different onions give a different result. Try red, eschallots, pickling onions or brown ones)
2 tablespoons oil
250 gms sugar
300 mls vinegar (different vinegars will also give a slightly different result in colour and flavour, so try balsamic, white, apple cider, sherry or even red or white wine or sparkling wine)
3 tablespoons honey or golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon
2 whole cloves
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper

Peel and slice the onions thinly.

Heat a large frypan over a medium heat and slow cook the onion until it's limp, about 5 minutes.

Add the other ingredients and mix well.

Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, stirring regulary to prevent sticking for one hour.

Cover the pan and continue to cook over a very low heat for a minimum of 45 minutes but up to several hours depending upon the depth of flavour and the consistency you're after, stirring regularly. I have simmered mine virtually all day on a very very low heat, and after 10-12 hours, they are divine.

The confit is ready when there is not liquid and the onion has been reduced to a chunky paste.

Spoon into sterilised jars and refrigerate.

Keeps for up to six months.

In the garden....
I have raised beds and in this one I have been harvesting carrots, parsnips, and beetroot. I have bunged in some peas but they are only 10 cm high as yet. The pansies are doing rather well in fact, what turned out to be an idea of making it look pretty, they have become weeds, self sown everywhere.

This one houses my garlic and shallots and more pansies.
Broad beans are coming along nicely, as soon as spring really gets here they will grow almost taller than me.

Lemons galore for my lemon meringue pies and citrus cordial.

Also harvested was a couple of caulis which get made into cauliflower cheese and chucked into stirfries and curries.
The beautiful winter we have been lucky to have here has made the chooks think its spring. They are laying in force, so plenty of eggs to eat and sell. Frittata anyone?
Lastly, I finally finished the olive oil from this 3 litre tin so decided it would be perfect to plant some mint into so I can have it handy on the kitchen bench. Thanks to everyone for stopping by and taking an interest, I appreciate you all. Feel free to leave a comment if you want.

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment