Friday 30 October 2015

Once A Month Cooking

Sometimes we all get so caught up with our busy lives that the thought of coming home and spending an hour in the kitchen cooking dinner is the last thing we feel like. How easy is it to stop off and grab take-aways?  Well that doesn’t happen in my house any more as I have a strategy of being really prepared. For example, today, I wanted to plant cauliflowers in my vegie garden and to make room I had to harvest the last of my cabbages and so I decided to cut it all up for coleslaw to which I added grated carrot and celery. The dressing will be added as I plate up later in the week. I also harvested beetroot, carrot and parsnip and baked slowly in the oven with onion and garlic and while still warm a roasted garlic dressing was added and this salad will accompany the coleslaw. A roast chicken is something that I also have in the fridge to be used with a quick salad, a curry and sandwiches.  I, then use the chicken carcass for stock for my home-made soup which I always have a supply of in the freezer to be pulled out on those nights when, basically you can’t be bothered to cook. Of course, all these things don’t happen by magic. I devote one day on a weekend per month to organise, harvest, prepare and cook. The best part is not only that I know where my food comes from and it’s healthy, but it saves loads of money.  







Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment