Friday 30 October 2015

First, Take a Cauliflower

I went to the farmer's market today and picked up some vegies as my caulis are not ready yet and I hadn't planted any swede this year. I was going to prepare them for the freezer to be used in curries and soups, at a later date. Here is what I did.
I chopped into pieces and put into the top of a steamer. I even sliced up the hard stems and popped them into the bottom of the steamer to boil so that I could pop them in soups later.
The swede, a humble vegetable that absolutely comes into its own when added to soups and casseroles. Great winter food. It was chopped up and put into the water in the bottom of the steamer to cook slightly while cauli was being steamed.
oops blurry photo
Swede and cauli stems draining before being bagged.

Nothing was wasted. Even the chooks benefitted from the outer leaves and the snails that were found among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment