Friday 30 October 2015

A Foragers Feast

Today, I noticed blackberries ready on the bushes along the sides of the roads, so I remembered there was some wild canes creeping into mt backyard from my neighbours, so I went to investigate.  I ended up getting this many, about 2 cups.
Then I walked passed the nashi tree so decided to grab a dozen or so.
I took them inside and prepared them for stewing with a small amount of water.
I placed the blackberries into the bottom of a pie dish.
When the stewed nashi had finished I strained them and placed them in the pie dish on top on the blackberries.  I put it aside to cool.

  I took 2 sheets of bought puff pastry  and shaped it into a lattice for the pie top. I put it on after the nashi were cool.
Then I baked it in a hot oven for about 30 mins or until the pastry looked golden.
My Dear Husband will be having this for dessert tonight and for the next 3 nights. The total cost of this pie for me was $1.40 for the 2 sheets of pastry. Doing the maths, that makes it 35 cents per serve.   If you go foraging for blackberries on the roadside, make sure they haven't been sprayed. Where I live it is illegal to spray in fruiting season.

Lesson 10:  Look around you and see what is available for little or no cost and make the best of it.

Don't forget to "like" my FACEBOOK page where you can pick up a daily savings tip. Here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment