Friday 30 October 2015

Frugal Friday- Every Dollar Counts


A couple of years ago when I realised I had no money and lots of debt, it was easy to make financial goals. I just wanted to be out of the hole!
Really, that was all I could think about. And it was strange to consider that I could
make it happen. 
After twelve months of scrimping and saving, I paid off my last credit card. I breathed a sigh of relief. So what have I done since?
  1. Pay off all debts, except mortgage .
  2. Fully fund an emergency fund of $3300.00.
  3. Got Holiday Savings of $5565.00
Getting to this point seems like such a huge victory that I am now inspired even further to pay off the mortgage even quicker.  For a long while I saved my money where I would toss it into a nebulous account that didn’t really have a purpose and would draw from it to buy stuff. There is that word again….. STUFF. Since then I am cured of the hold that STUFF had over me.

4.     Now I am investing in my retirement, not through super funds, (I am too old to make much out of that as I didn’t start early enough, unfortunately).  My investment includes buying a smaller more efficient home, fitting it with solar panels and water tanks and insulating it throughout, to save on utility bills.  Even bought a boat so I can live off fish to save money on protein. Set up vegetable gardens and planted fruit trees so that I will have food.

What is still to do……
Pay off the house, by being frugal I can add to my regular house payments. Already this year there has been a contribution of nearly $1000 extra.
This year I have become more serious about financial goals.
Lesson 11: Back to STUFF….. things do NOT make you happier just because you think it will, in fact STUFF can be a huge burden. DON’T LET STUFF, STUFF UP YOUR LIFE!
Deb
Please share a favourite money saving idea with us today, on Frugal Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment