Friday 30 October 2015

The Skills I have Learned

Being a Frugalista most of my adult life has been a true bonus for me as I have learned many great skills that have not only helped me and my family save money but been kind to the planet as well. 
I've learned how to make
* jams and chutney,

* yoghurt
* ricotta cheese
* home-made ice cream
* pastry
* cordial
* butter

* washing powder
* soap

* mayonnaise
* bread

* excellent citrus cleaner
I’ve learned  how to preserve my own produce by:
·       Bottling
·       Blanching and freezing vegies
·       Drying
I can grow all my own vegies and herbs as well as propagate ornamental plants.
I can butcher my own meat

I can pluck a chicken and prepare it for eating
I can milk a cow

I have learned to fish for food
I have learned about animal husbandry
I learned how to spin, dye, knit and weave my own fabric to make clothing


I can sew my own clothing
I have learned all about nutrition and getting bang for my buck when it comes to buying food.
I have learned how to budget
I can cook great tasting dishes with next to nothing

A lot of these things I learned from reading a book called Complete Self Sufficiency by John Seymour. Nowadays I read Rhonda Hertzel's blog or refer to her book Down to Earth.

Who would have thought that a road to frugality would extend me so many valuable experiences?

What value have you attained from your experiences?


Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment